A successful plan for the future begins with an honest assessment of the present. Our mission during the first phase of PlanET was to collect viewpoints from people across our region. Through a series of public forums and meetings with interested groups, we heard thousands of viewpoints about the challenges, assets, and opportunities we face.
In an effort to document these stories so they could shape the future of the project, a short film called Tell Our Story: Our Legacy Matters was created. Three East Tennessee families and more than a dozen leaders volunteered to speak openly about their hopes and concerns for our region.
We invite you to listen to their stories and ask yourself how they are different from your own. How are they the same?
This documentary was created by East Tennesseans for East Tennesseans to start a conversation about the future. It is an invitation to honestly discuss where we are so that we can move forward together.
Click the link to see the film. After watching, please view the list of resources below to find out how you can contribute to a stronger East Tennessee. Each of us are uniquely qualified to shape the future of our region. We invite you to add your voice to the conversation.
Invite your community to join the discussion. Tell Our Story: Our Legacy Matters is available for group viewings. If you would like to host a screening, please email email@example.com and see below for a list of discussion questions.
Join the Conversation Now!
Click here for a list of ways to get involved with PlanET or other important local and regional initiatives to improve the quality of life in East Tennessee.
The simple guide below is intended to serve as a starting point for a group discussion about the film you just watched. Feel free to omit questions or add your own.
- Take a few minutes and ask everyone in your group to consider the following questions before you start the discussion.
- Starting with the first question, ask each person to share their thoughts.
- After the group discussions concludes, share the list of Community Resources and ask the group to identify others not listed.
- What are your top three takeaways from the film?
- How are the stories you heard similar to your own?
- How are the stories you heard different from your own?
- What should we be doing to address some of the challenges identified in the film as a community?
- What should we be doing to take advantage of the opportunities presented in the film as a community?
- What do you see as your role in helping to shape a better future for your community?
Below is a list of organizations working to make East Tennessee the best that it can be. See how you can plug in or learn more about what you can do to contribute! (Please note, this is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all the organizations or efforts in our region. Consider this a starting point.)
Appalachian Community Fund
Blount County Community Action Agency
Bike Walk Knoxville
Coal Creek Watershed Association
Community Design Center
East Tennessee Quality Growth
Great Schools Partnership
Great Smoky Mountains Greenway Council
Knox Housing Partnership
Knoxville-Knox County Food Policy Council
Legacy Parks Foundation
Little River Watershed Association
Loudon Habitat for Humanity
Project Grad Knoxville
Second Harvest of East Tennessee
Together Healthy Knox
United Way of Greater Knoxville
YMCA of East Tennessee
To learn more about the Plan East Tennessee effort visit planeasttn.org.